[nvo-techwg] Referencing in XML for the IVO

Paul Harrison pharriso at eso.org
Wed Nov 30 01:50:56 PST 2005

Arnold Rots wrote:
> Appended is something that will work (and that I showed at the team
> meeting in abbreviated form).  It has URLs instead of IVO identifiers
> but that's a detail.

I am not convinced that it is "just a detail" - I think that it is a
crucial detail if we are to have any hope of standard xml tools being
able to interpret such documents.

The ivo: scheme is an URI, so a registry must be used to actually locate
the document, which is a two stage process, as the ivo: URI first gets
resolved into an xml instance conforming to the Registry schema, which
in itself contains a link to the URL of the xml instance fragment
conforming to the STC schema. This double indirection should really be
expressed in the source xml document - possibly with the help of
Xpointer (http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/PR-xptr-framework-20021113/)

Having said all this, Xlink and Xpointer do seem to have stalled in
developement somewhat - there seem to be few (if any) general
implementations - possibly because once you allow more complex semantics
for a link than simply "go there" it is difficult to build a general engine.

--
Paul Harrison
ESO Garching