STC Questions

Anita Richards amsr at jb.man.ac.uk
Mon Jun 20 09:04:51 PDT 2005

> Note that this is only relevant (at least I think I have this list
> complete) for objects for which RA and Dec are time-variable due to:
> - proper motion
> - parallax
> - orbital motion: binary stars, solar system objects,
>  extra-solar planets, galactic rotation
>
> Epoch should not be confused with equinox which is a property of the
> coordinate system (as correctly pointed out in the previous messages),
> if applicable.

Very true.

I would point out that for observations madwe in B1950 the epoch is always
relevant I believe, and a frequent cause of grief and wailing and gnashing
of teeth is that for many years VLA positons were in B1950, epoch 1979.9
(or something - not 1950) which was often overlooked by people retrieving
archive data for combination with MERLIN data in B1950 epoch 1950; to make
matters worse in some cases phase reference source positions would be
taken from one epoch but the target position precessed to another epoch
without taking that into account..

which is not a problem for STC but those of us implimenting it
might want to find ways of encouraging anyone publishing sub-arcsec data
in B1950 to record the epoch...

cheers