[CATALOGUE] Source Catalogue DM

Alberto Micol Alberto.Micol at eso.org
Thu Jun 2 05:27:58 PDT 2005

Dear Pedro and Matteo,

I finally manage to provide the requested feedback on the
Observation/Characterisation
part of the Catalog/Source DM you are proposing.

[Note: in the following I will type "charac" for "characterisation".]

In the first place I'd like to highlight the fact that
"Catalogue Charac." and "Source Charac" are quite different beasts,
in that the Catalogue charac is probably going to be a some kind of summary
of the characs of all the sources in the catalogue.

In the following I take care only of the Source relevant aspects, related to
charac and observation, which are:

- Source.coordinates
- Source.frequency (and bandpass?)
- Source.snr & localBackgroundNoise
- Source.observation
- Calibration accuracy
- Publications

Coordinates and frequency:
The coordinates are described using STC which cover Temporal, Spatial
and Spectral axes.
Hence, I see the Source.frequency as a redundant field; a field that is
there for convenience.
If that is true, then I'd suggest also to add a reference time; or
otherwise remove frequency.
(I like too much symmetry: or we put convenient fields for each axis, or
I'd prefer no redundant
fields at all).
BTW, I assume frequency is the rest frame frequency, is it?

Bandpass:
On the other hand, what might be missing is the bandpass name and its
characteristics.
The fact that under Observation there is a field called Filter is not
enough. It could
be that some transformation is applied to the extracted source, and that
the published
flux in the catalog is no longer characterised by the filter name of the
original observation.
Maybe we should dust off the work done by Jonathan on the bandpass DM (?)

Back to STC (or Charac [see last comment at the end of this email]):
When saying STC that implies many things which are not explicited in
your model.
And in particular I'm concentrating on the charac aspects like
Resolution and Sampling.
I find particularly relevant to know whether the morphological
parameters of the source
were extracted from an undersampled or oversampled image, or otherwise
from a low or high
resolution spectrum. Maybe that should go in the Observation box...

Observation: Spectroscopy?
The Observation diargam is probably biased towards imaging.
Spectroscopy is to be added there. Things like slit sizes, position and
orientation
(maybe in your view accumunated under fieldOfView and positionAngle, or
maybe Aperture?),
dispersive elements could be added.

Calibration  accuracy:
I see things like vignettingCorrection, but there are many other
corrections one could
put in (from flatfielding to geometric distorsion corrections).
I would claim that  the source is probably extracted from a
well-calibrated product,
where all such corrections have been performed.
Hence, I would remove the vignettingCorrection and put in  a more generic
Calibration Status, as it is done in the SSAP (Paragraph 3.3.5.2),
e.g. Accuracy.Spatial.Calibrated, Accuracy.Spatial.SysErr, etc.
I would also get rid of the gain.
To be added: the Error on the ZeroPoint.

Source.snr and localBackgroundNoise:
I see that part of the SourceDM, but I also see a localBackgroundNoise
under Observation.
That confuses me. Could you please clarify what you mean by
localBackgroundNoise?
In my view that belongs to the Source, not to the Observation.

Finally: Publications.
Well, maybe not. It all depends if Source means extracted source, or if
Source means Object
(as discussed in Kyoto). In the latter case I would then add the
bibcode(s) of the publications
from which certain quantities were derived.

An overall remark:
Should SourceDM point to STC
or to CharacDM which uses STC (and should also contemplate Accuracy)?

I would be in favour of the second approach to be inline with SSAP and
later with SIAP.
And that would save you lot of work since you can probably
copy-and-paste that part
into your Catalogue DM.

I think this is enough for a first pass. Sorry that it came so late!

Alberto

--
Alberto.Micol at eso.org                         Tel: +49 89 32006365
HST Archive Scientist     ST-ECF              Fax: +49 89 32006480