[Ontology] UCDs vs ontologies?

Ed Shaya edward.j.shaya.1 at gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Jun 1 11:41:33 PDT 2005

Elizabeth,

    Hurray.  Another ontology fan.  I have taken the liberty of using
OwlDoc in Protege to create a browser readable version of your
ontology.  It is at

http://archive.astro.umd.edu/ont/Documentation/VOEVENT/index.html

Would you mind if I integrate what you have into the more general
ontology that I have been working on?
http://archive.astro.umd.edu/ont/Documentation/index.html
(And yes, Rob it does tend to get big, but one can trim it at any
level.  I rather see UCDs as a form of topic maps which is quite a close
relative of Ontology.  I prefer ontology because I believe one can do
more rigorous reasoning and query with it, but many prefer topic maps
because they are more loose and easy. )

Now that there are two of us interested in Ontology we can form a
group.  It has been suggested to me that
Ontology discussions should reside in the data model group with
"[Ontology]" in the subject Re:.  So, I
am ccing there too and will take the rest of this discussion there.  I
hope you are tuned in Elizabeth.

Ed