dimensionless units

Jonathan McDowell jcm at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Feb 22 06:11:49 PST 2005

David wrote:

> I think one of Pedro's points was that we do not currently have one string
> syntax, but many. His proposal as I understand it is to include old,
..
> > If clever unit software becomes widespread and standardized we maybe
> > eventually can drop the SI.. version.
>
> Surely, it's not the software which needs to be standardised but the
> syntax for units strings - but FITS-WCS paper I already does that. And
> software does not need to be *that* clever. Handling FITS-WCS paper I

You're absolutely right, I should have made that clear - we need to standardize
a syntax for unit strings in the VO. But we clearly do need to do that anyway, and
that discussion (even if the conclusion is 'just follow FITS-WCS paper I')
needs to be held widely in the VO - so we should work toward presenting
a proposal in Kyoto.

 - Jonathan