Dimensionless units

Ed Shaya edward.j.shaya.1 at gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Feb 18 08:40:19 PST 2005

David and Martin

Again, we are getting the two types of dimensional analyses confused.
Unit Analysis specifies the conversion fully:

Jy/sr *  sr/[(pi/4)deg]^2  * [deg/(60 arcmin)]^2 = [4*60/pi]^2
Jy/arcmin2 or something like that.

This type of analysis should almost always work and be valid and easily
automated.  I can think of some oddball occassions, like using redshift
for distances to planets etc, that would be a mistake.   For conversion
purposes, we should add radian to the basic SI units: meter, kilogram,
second, candela, ampere, kelvin, mole.  Since mole is not terribly
useful in astronomy, we could switch number count for mole.  Then one
can convert anything to these base units and do comparisons on a common
basis.  I think this is part of  Pedro's system and it is also the basis
of what Brian and I wrote a schema for many years ago.

The base units are not the dimensions.   Don't get them confused.  A
mole is dimensionless, but one can still do unit analysis with moles!

The dimensional analysis where one uses just the dimensions doesn't tell
you anything about how to
go from Jy/sr to Jy/arcmin**2 other than to tell you that it is not
dimensionally wrong.  Pedro's system does use real dimensional analysis
for spectra by taking the ratio of the dimensions of two quantities and
if the ratio is L/T then it assumes that a velocity can be used to do
the conversion and since spectra are EM waves, the velocity is probably
the speed of light.

I wonder, is a SED only allowed to be spectra?  If I have Fnu/pc (flux
along a disk) and Fnu/sec (rate of change of the flux), are these
allowed in a SED?  If so then we will need to rely on UCD or ontology to
stop Pedro's system from doing a dimensional analysis and converting one
to the other.  I am sure he is aware of this.