Dimensionless units

Martin Hill mch at roe.ac.uk
Thu Feb 17 10:57:58 PST 2005

Units and dimensions are not ontologies (thank goodness!)

We don't expect the units to fully define what we're measuring, but they are
an important part of that definition.  So, in this case, we don't expect um
to tell us we have a wavelength, instead we know 'in some other way' that we
have a wavelength value, and its units are in um.

The equivelence between wavelength and frequency and energy in light, say,
requires knowing that we are dealing with photons (the equivelence is
different for waves in beer), so we can make use of the units to simplify the
ontology; if we know 'in some other way' that we have photons, then the units
can be length, time-1 or energy.

Similarly the difference between surface flux and observed flux need to be
described, but is a problem for ontologies not units or dimensions.

Units and dimensions allow us to convert and compare things that we know 'in
some other way' are the same. These need not be simple comparisons; Pedro has
demonstrated that you can build an SED from dimension analysis, because you
already know which values go on the 'brightness' axis and which go on the
'wavelength' axis, even if the units are all different.

Cheers

Martin

--
Martin Hill