SED Data Model: Questions and Comments

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Wed Feb 16 09:32:58 PST 2005

I think the big win for dimensional analysis is that when you write code to
handle unit strings, you essentially parse a bunch of ugly stuff using lookup
tables and trun it into a form you can work with  - the dimensional analysis
exponents and scale factors - then you use that to convetrt values to your
preferred unit system.

So why bother having everyone write that parsing code, which everyone knows
seems simple enough when you have m <-> ft and maybe sec <-> days but quickly
degenerates into something very fragile that you keep tacking extra bits
onto, keep adding rules to your lookup tables, etc.

As for converting existing data, it isn't all that bad because only the data
provider has to understand their own small set of unit strings they used.
That could be done without a general purpose parsing toolkit/code...

So, I would go for this in principle, despite having not read the paper :-)

Pat

--
Patrick Dowler
Tel/Tél: (250) 363-6914                  | fax/télécopieur: (250) 363-0045