SED Data Model: Questions and Comments

Pedro Osuna Pedro.Osuna at sciops.esa.int
Wed Feb 16 03:33:46 PST 2005

Dave,

parsing of strings is the traditional way to handle units, and we
believe there are examples more than enough of cases where units are
named wrongly, despite any effort to homogeneise unit names (which vary,
by the way, sometimes from FITS WCS paper I to A&A recommended units
conventions (a la Vizier, I believe), to CODATA ones, etc.).

Only thing we say is that dimensional input gives added value, as allows
clients to handle units without the need of string name comparisons with
internal tables. This is a very easy procedure and gives a lot of
throughput, thus our request to include it.

As Peter Draper says in his SPLAT release,

[...]Differences between data value units can be automatically taken
account of when overlaying spectra as long as the units strings conform
to the system described in FITS WCS paper I.[...]

so you need to parse strings and compare them with tables somewhere.
[...]Also, automatic identification and conversion between flux per unit
wavelength and flux per unit frequency is provided and does not require
any "dimensional analysis" information to be present[...]

obviously, if you're parsing strings you don't need dimensional analysis
for this. This is what we used to do in our Spectral tool for ISO
project. However, we insist that for superimposition of different
spectra in different units, the dimensional approach gives -even
algorithmically- a lot of benefits.

Cheers,
P.

--