SED Data Model: Questions and Comments

Brian Thomas brian.thomas at gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Feb 15 10:07:46 PST 2005

On Tuesday 15 February 2005 12:42 pm, Gilles DUVERT wrote:
> If 'Quantity' is, or will be, able to deal with such things as flux
> conversions from/to air wavelength vs. humidity and frequency,etc..  and
> Janskys from/to Cousins/Johnson magnitudes, at least to a large extent
> and great accuracy, all the best. In that case all units or combinaisons
> thereof supported by Quantity should be authorized in, e.g., the SED DM.
> But at the same time one could use the Quantity DM to convert the data
> beforehand to specific quantities that would be the only  ones referred
> to in the SED DM, such as basic  MKSA units. And make the DM simpler.

 I agree that Q should have modeled within it the units, accuracy,
 coordinate system..but the machinery that actually does the conversions
 from one Q to another Q is a separate software package itself (from
 the serialization/IO package that handles the Q within other DM components).

 Otherwise, it sounds good to me. :)

 =b.t.

--