SED Data Model: Questions and Comments

Pierre Didelon pdidelon at cea.fr
Thu Feb 3 04:45:11 PST 2005

Gilles DUVERT wrote:

> Hi,
>
> DM is not just the sum of its parts. One has to make choices. The need
> is to insure data QUALITY and MAINTAINABILITY. Keep things simple. DM
> should describe the physics of the data, that unite, not the habits of
> the data producer, that divide.
>
> So:
> Jonathan McDowell wrote:
>
>> Reply to Igor's message of Jan 21:
>>

>> Ideology:
>>
>> 2. No flux calibration.
>>
>> I'm still thinking about this one. In your case (shape right,
>> flux cal absent) one could just put a huge systematic error
>> bar on, but it would be better to have a special tag.
>>
>> The harder case is when the shape is globally wrong. This
>> is also common: no division by instrument sensitivity, so
>> that the shape is locally right (you can see lines and measure
>> redshifts) but globally wrong. So we need
>> a 'counts spectrum' case too.
>>

> A measure is a value and an error.
counts are measurements and can have errors
> If there is no flux calibration, the
> measurement does not exist,
?
even before counts volt or amper at amplifiers stage exists!

>and a data model shall not be concerned by
> this.
Your opinion!
If local shape can be of some interest to some people
why excluding it a priori?
And normalizing the spectra give a way to handle data like in way 1!
> DO NOT PERMIT TO WRONG OR UNRELIABLE DATA TO BE OUT IN THE VO!!!

IMO Even with a good model/protocol/technical_tools but without a good policy
bad/wrong/unreliable data can be pushed in VO!

SY
--
Pierre
DIDELON :@: pdidelon_at_cea.fr        Phone : 33 (0)1 69 08 58 89