Expressing 2- and 3-D coordinates

Alberto Micol Alberto.Micol at eso.org
Tue Dec 13 06:58:53 PST 2005

At the cost of being trivial:
In the VO, we have to handle physical quantities, which are typically
of vectorial nature. It seems hence very trivial to me that any effort
in trying to serialise the physical universe should consider the Vector
as a prime atomic constituent, and should not try to bend it, squeeze
it,
or split it into something very unnatural.

Of course, on the other hand, I'm quite will aware that the
Object Database Management System, which should have solved all our
problems,
succumbed in favour of the already consolidated RDBMS model.

The pros are quite clear, as per Arnold's email.
But the cons?
Let me ask some question that would help me understand better.

- Would it be so difficult to modify the VOTable schema to allow arrays
within a tabular cell?

- How difficult would it be for the average XML parser to understand it?

- And would the accompanying UCD be able to explain the vectorial nature
   of the interested FIELD? (Is it up to the UCD to do so?)

- What other disadvantages are behind the corner that I can't see from
here?

Thanks,

Alberto