Data Models in Kyoto

Jonathan McDowell jcm at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Apr 13 19:02:30 PDT 2005

Hello Data Model Group,

It's time to plan activities for Kyoto (actually it's well past time,
but I just got to it now).

We have at least the following things to discuss
  Spectrum/SED
  Characterization
    (including STC/Quantity merger, 3D IFU discussion, UTYPES, Theory)
  STC (now at Proposed Rec)
  Catalog
  Quantity

I know that Rots (STC), Micol (Char UTYPEs), Osuna (Catalogs), me/Tody
(SSAP/SED), Bonnarel/Louys (Characterization), Igor (Char 3D) will all
be there, so we have a pretty good collection except for Brian - you're
not coming, B? Maybe you can give me a few pages to present on
your package and how it differs from the CDS scheme.

We have three DM sessions scheduled
of two hours each and I propose
 Tues  pm  DAL/DM joint session (SSAP/SED)
 Thurs pm  Characterization and related issues     Clashes with Registry, Grid-Web
 Fri   am  STC, and Catalog/Quantity               Clashes with UCD, Grid-Web

I'm hoping we can move the Fri session to Wed. so I can attend the UCD
session.

I solicit presentations on all these topics, and suggestions for
other topics to be covered.

Characterization:

I've been catching up somewhat on the recent traffic on
Characterization, and would like to congratulate all concerned on the
recent work which is now at the level of detail we need. Both the CDS
and Maryland approaches to Characterization look promising, but I
haven't managed to internalize them at the level of detail needed to
compare and contrast. So I'd ask both groups to look at the others' work
and comment on differences and similarities. One issue that does need to
be addressed, as Alberto mentioned in his work on UTYPES (which I liked
very much), is whether we cut the problem as

 Char/TypeOfCharacterization/CharacterizationAxis
               e.g.  Char/Bounds/Spatial, Char/Location/Temporal
or
 Char/CharacterizationAxis/TypeOfCharacterization
               e.g.  Char/Spatial/Bounds, Char/Temporal/Bounds

Now the CDS takes the second approach, except that the Location uses
STCAstroCoords which I had understood to be something that includes all
axes, i.e. the first approach... so I worry there is an inconsistency
here.

Looking forward to seeing many of you in Kyoto

 - Jonathan