[QUANTITY] : STC merge (Was: Re: Data Models in Pune)

Brian Thomas brian.thomas at gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Sep 16 07:40:11 PDT 2004

On Thursday 16 September 2004 06:26 pm, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> Yep, I took a good look at yours, and took a lot of ideas from it,
> but it didn't cover all of STC (and at second look, I did miss some
> stuff like the coordinate stuff which seems to be commented out).

 Thats because I think that the Q handles most of the coordinate stuff
 already (at least in terms of defining how values are held, like the value
 data types..I dont see why "value60" is needed in STC..that should be
 "sexigesimal" and a datatype in Q for example).

 Definitions of coordinate systems are appropriate for STC..just not the
 machinery that holds values. That should be in Q.

 There is another issue that Ed and I have long been aware of as well..
 In the Schema one can define lists of values that the trivial quantity
 may be restricted to. The Java schema parsers grok this OK, but XMLSpy
 throws a rod (breaks). As far as we can tell, the manner in which we
 did this in our version of the STC (based on Q) is XML-kosher, it is XMLSpy
 which is broken.

 laters,

 =b.t.

--

  * Dr. Brian Thomas

  * Dept of Astronomy/University of Maryland-College Park
  * Code 630.1/Goddard Space Flight Center-NASA

  *   fax: (301) 286-1775
  * phone: (301) 286-6128 [GSFC]
           (301) 405-2312 [UMD]