[OBSERVATION]Observation data model/comments/Resolution...

Mireille Louys louys at newb6.u-strasbg.fr
Wed May 19 09:38:54 PDT 2004

Jonathan McDowell wrote:

Hi Martin, I all,

> I'd like to ask Mireille to comment on the following which I think
> apply to her diagrams:
>

> >     2) If Resolution and Precision really might 'belong to' many different
> > Characterisations, we need to make sure they are immutable.

what is this ? a kind of constant value? sorry , not clear to me .

> On the other
> > hand, we could say one Resolution/Precision instance can only belong to one
> > Characterisation which might be neater and seems more correct somehow -

It is the case I think, for images at least . The Observed image have
Characterisation descriptors , among them
a Resolution component, a SamplePrecision component that are determined by:
the instrumental chain and the data reduction pipeline.
If a new reduction algo is developped, a new Observation will be produced with
updated values for Characterisation compents.
For a spectrum, this is probably the same situation.
For a list of extracted sources , we have to check.

> > presumably Characteristics normally have different resolutions?
> >     3) Is ObservingConfiguration itself the ObsEltList?  What benefits do we
> > get from having a separate List?

I can hook another Object: "Ambient conditions " for example under
ObservingConfiguration,
that can describe the instrumental parameters values for this  Observation shot.
There could be more informations to store than just the list of elements.

cheers, mireille.

 Mireille LOUYS                 mailto:Mireille.Louys at astro.u-strasbg.fr

 L S I I T                              Observatoire de Strasbourg
 Ecole Nationale Superieure             11, Rue de l'Universite
 de Physique de Strasbourg,             67000 STRASBOURG
 Boulevard Sébastien Brant, BP 10413
 67412 ILLKIRCH Cedex
 Tel: 03 90 24 44 94                    Tel: 03 90 24 24 34