[QUANTITY] Choosing default accuracy/units values

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Mon May 17 10:31:53 PDT 2004

I agree that default units and default accuracy/error should follow the same
rules. However, to be successful the VO really needs to get people (force them
if necessary) to not be lazy, so I would prefer making specification of units
and accuracy mandatory (in the schema) and have some special values that can
be easily used, like <unitless> and <exact> and <uknownUnits> and
<unknownAccuracy>. There should be no default value.

Yes, this does potentially increase the size of the serialised form, but the
benefits outweigh the cost, IMO. And sure, those unknown tags are especially
large, but they should be rare (who wants data with those tags in there?) and
providers of such tags/data will be discouraged by their usage stats :-)

my 2c,

Pat

PS-If serialised size becomes an issue, it only matters for large docs and in
those cases there are other ways to optimise. For example, if a doc has many
Qs with only 2-3 different unique unit strings, one could form 2-3 groups and
factor the common parts up one level to the group. The group would contain
the Qs that share some things and the shared things. This kind of thing would
appear in the schema and in the readers/writers, but wouldn't have to be in
any other software (unless such a concept is generally useful... for now I'd
leave it out, then I'd consider adding it and hiding it, then I'd consider
making and making it visible - ie not removing it during parsing).

--
Patrick Dowler
Tel/Tél: (250) 363-6914                  | fax/télécopieur: (250) 363-0045