Proposal to split out the "members" from coreQ (Was: Re: Philosophy of basic Q)

David Berry dsb at ast.man.ac.uk
Wed May 12 08:53:52 PDT 2004

> > > I don't believe it is too late to revise this to separate out the
> > > "member" stuff from Core/Standard Q and put it in a separate interface.
> > > What do other people think?
> >
> > I think that this is all new stuff which I for one have not seen clearly
> > defined or justified anywhere. I think you need to start from the
> > beginning and say clearly what a QuantitySet is and why it is needed.
>
> You have seen it, it exists in the current serialization. The language is
> just perhaps different from what you have heard before.

But there is no evidence of it in the interface, and does there need to
be? What benefits do your suggestions give us in terms of the actual *data
model* (as described by the interface) rather than in the specific form of
the serialisation you suggest in the doc?  How would it related to other
serialisations such as FITS?

I know I've said it before, but there is no harm in saying it again - the
fact that the suggested serialisation in the doc does not clearly have a
one-to-one connection with the data model is, I think, one of the main
problems with the doc.

I always thought we were way ahead of ourselves in diving into
serialisations before we had firm agreement on the data model which we
were supposed to be serialising!

David