[QUANTITY] Data Model for Quantity v0.5

David Berry dsb at ast.man.ac.uk
Tue May 11 03:39:39 PDT 2004

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Jonathan McDowell wrote:

> Brian,
>  You make some proposals for changes to Q.
>
>  (1)  You propose adding Accuracy to BasicQ.

I agree with Jonathan that the whole idea of BasicQ is that it is very
simple, and so should not have Accuracy in it. But... the current doc
*does* already includes Accuracy methods in the BasicQ interface (section
5). So are we arguing about removing these methods?

>  (2) You want to change add/remove/getValueQuantity
>                      to add/remove/getAlternativeValue.
>
>   I don't have a big problem with this.

Is this simply a name change? If so, I suppose I do not see it as a show
stopper. But I think the current names describe what is going on quite
clearly - we have

add/remove/getCoordsQuantity

for accessing the various coordinate systems which can be used to describe
positions within the enclosing Quantity. So it seems symetrical to
also have

add/remove/getValueQuantity

for accessing the various data value systems which can be used describe
values in the enclosing Quantity. Can Brian remind us why he suggests the
change (afraid I've lost the original message in the flood).

>   I'm not so keen on removing the getCurrent... but if others
>   want to I'll go along with it.

I do not think we can manage without the getCurrent... methods can we?

David

Dr David S. Berry    (dsb at ast.man.ac.uk)

STARLINK project		 |	Centre for Astrophysics
(http://www.starlink.ac.uk/)	 |	University of Central Lancashire
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory	 |	PRESTON
DIDCOT				 |	United Kingdom
United Kingdom			 |	PR1 2HE
OX11 0QX                                Tel. 01772 893733
                                             01257 273192