[OBSERVATION] Alberto's introduction

Jonathan McDowell jcm at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Mon May 10 19:30:59 PDT 2004

Alberto,

> >What have I missed?
> >
> Thanks for asking!  Here my list :-)
>
> a.- I sent (off the ivoa list) my proposal for an addendum to the
> introduction
> of Obs. Have you got a copy of that pdf file?

Yes. I've put a new version (V0.22) of Observation on my site
which includes an introduction based on yours.

A couple of points:

- I don't like the "5D space" thing - there are other axes one
can and will describe coverage in, and your description makes it sound
like the 3 spatial/1 temporal/1 spectral are the only choices.

- I changed 'proposal' to the more general 'plan' since  maybe you were
a lucky swine and  had guaranteed time, or owned the telescope, and
didn't have to propose to anyone.. or the observation was made
with extra time, or accidentally...

> b.- UTYPEs: the OBS DM probably needs a chapter dedicated to them.
> (See my other email to this mailing list, sent few minutes ago)

- I propose a separate document to define a general mapping of
abstract DMs  and/or general XML schemas to VOTABLE using UTYPEs.

> c.- What's the relationship of Q and STC?
> How are quantities going to use  STC ?

- Good question which I hope to give my own version of the answer too
when I catch up with the emails.

 Jonathan