Heaviness of Q (Was: Re: [QUANTITY] Data Model for Quantity v0.5 - inheritance vs aggregation

Brian Thomas brian.thomas at gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon May 10 08:50:52 PDT 2004

	Hi Martin,

On Monday 10 May 2004 11:27 am, Martin Hill wrote:
> By 'heavy' I really mean that we are strongly defining a lot of things
> about what Quantity is, and therefore all the things that 'are'
> Quantities have to carry around this extra baggage that might or might
> not be relevent.

	Almost none of the components are "required" by either the interface
	or serialization, for example "accuracy". It is nevertheless usefull to
	know that if you have an object that implements "Quantity" you can ask
	it "whats your dataType?" or "whats your units?" or "whats your accuracy?"
	(the latter providing a list of objects which each in turn implement
	quantity themselves).

	If I understand your design correctly, you would deny VO programmers
	the ability to easily determine this sort of basic information that is needed
	to do scientific programming (!!). Without quantity as a interface/serialization
	that is used by other model elements, what is to rigorously keep
	designers from deviating on how one might determine the coordinate
	System of X versus a model component Y which also has a coordinate
	system, but is specified in a different manner by another developer? And
	even if the components are the same object, there is not restriction on
	how each might create the methods for accessing that information, e.g.

	public interface A {
              public CoordSystem getMyCoordSystem();
	}

	public interface B {
		public CoordSystem getAReallyImportantPieceOfInformation();
	}

	By realizing the Q interface, DM model components avoid the above situation.
	How does your approach prevent it?

> [snip]
>
> We must be careful that our interfaces don't end up being classes.  An
> interface should (mostly) specify *behaviour*, not contents.  Specifying
> a bunch of properties (as has been done for Quantity) is effectively
> specifying a container class, even if you can technically say that the
> properties are methods and the methods are defined in an interface.
>

> Instead let's have a Frame as you have.  Let's have things like Errors,
> Mappings, Accuracy, etc.  Then we assemble quantities as we like and as
> appropriate out of these things - just as at the moment someone would
> have to decide which of Basic, Std and CoreQuantities they should
> subclass from.
>
> As an example, I think someone mentioned MagnitudeFrame in the last few
> days (can't find it now).  It makes sense to me that people can build
> different Frames, and include these with their values.  We can't do that
> if the inheritance tree is fixed.

	There is no fixed inheritance tree. The proper term is "realization". Each
	interface has an established realization relationship between themselves.
	*But this is NOT the same as inheritance*. You are not forced into creating
	a class hierarchy which mirrors the interface at all. I happen to think its easier
	if you do, but hey, thats an *option*. I regret that I lost the argument with the
	other editors to change the language surrounding figure 1 to reflect that we
	are proscribing "realization" and not "inheritance" relationships, but that is
	what is intended.

> Thinking about it more, Mappings should definitely not be part of the
> Quantity; Mappings (if I have them right) define how to convert values
> between one Frame and another, and this depends upon what the Quantity's
> user wants, not upon what the Quantity has.  The Frame should define
> enough about the source & target values to know which Mapping to use...

	Mappings currently *don't* have a relationship to Q. This is because mappings
	work on *values* and not whole Quantities. In the future, should there be a need,
	we may wish to create a "QuantityMapping" interface, but this is NOT in the works.

	cheers,

	=b.t.

--

  * Dr. Brian Thomas

  * Dept of Astronomy/University of Maryland-College Park
  * Code 630.1/Goddard Space Flight Center-NASA

  *   fax: (301) 286-1775
  * phone: (301) 286-6128 [GSFC]
           (301) 405-2312 [UMD]