[QUANTITY] Data Model for Quantity v0.5 - analogue absurdium

David Berry dsb at ast.man.ac.uk
Mon May 10 05:46:58 PDT 2004

Martin,

> As I understand it Quantity is now being defined as an interface (which
> is good), but it is becoming an extremely heavy interface defining so
> many things in such detail that it's really just becoming an
> all-encompassing container class, reintroducing the inheritance problems.

That may be just a perception issue. Admittedly the document makes it
look fairly heavy, and I suspect the models presented by the interface and
the "first cut"  serialisation examples may appear to lean in different
directions (although Brian may not agree!), but non-the-less, all the
quantity model currently covers is how to record meta-data describing the
phenomenon measured by the Quantity, and the coordinate axes used to
locate each sampled value.

Other things, accuracy, quality, etc, are currently "to be decided".

David

Dr David S. Berry    (dsb at ast.man.ac.uk)

STARLINK project		 |	Centre for Astrophysics
(http://www.starlink.ac.uk/)	 |	University of Central Lancashire
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory	 |	PRESTON
DIDCOT				 |	United Kingdom
United Kingdom			 |	PR1 2HE
OX11 0QX                                Tel. 01772 893733
                                             01257 273192