Observation data model comments

Anita Richards amsr at jb.man.ac.uk
Fri May 7 11:05:50 PDT 2004

Dear Data Modellers,

This is the result of discussions with some people in AstroGrid, AVO and
at CDS.  The errors are mine alone, I am posting it rather prematurely but
otherwise it will be too late for anyone to see before Boston.

See
http://wiki.astrogrid.org/bin/view/Astrogrid/ObservationDataModelRevision

including diagram
http://wiki.astrogrid.org/pub/Astrogrid/ObservationDataModelRevision/ObsDMamsr_0.11eg.png

The basic Observation model is very similar to Observation v0.2, I have
simply added a few classes and suggested interaction with other models.  I
have given some examples of how Characterisation may be interpreted for
radio data in tabular form.  I ahve also given examples (on coloured
backgrounds in the diagram) of how individual facilities might produce
more elaborate models.  Further details of this for radio interferometry
are in the model produced by Peter Lamb.

These comments arose from studying that model and from the metadata for
other actual archives including x-ray and optical data.  I am trying to
show how a simple general model could be adopted by the IVOA which would
receive basic metadata from more diverse models and make that available to
the Registry etc. as needed.

best wishes

Anita