[QUANTITY] Data Model for Quantity v0.5 - analogue absurdium

Martin Hill mchill at dial.pipex.com
Wed May 5 09:08:01 PDT 2004

David Berry wrote:

> Pierre,
>

>>Well! it depends of the point of view.
>>Speaking of human species, starting from neolithic up to nowdays,
>>something like that occurs, and it is not evident if a jet fighter
>>project starting ab nihilo would have succed in any achievement.
>>We may be need a bicycle first, and once we understand everything on the subject
>>we can try a car, and then go on.
>>Moreover, people needing only bicycle are then not force to use a jet.
>>I am deeply in favour of a very pragmatic bicycle.
>>I am really afraid by the lunar rocket style of the actual quantity model,
>

> I think we are not starting from nothing, or anywhere near nothing. There
> are already developed systems in regular use around the world which are
> similar to the proposed Quantity model. It must surely make sense to
> build on the existing experience rather than throwing it all away and
> starting back at the "bicycle" stage. You never reach the aircraft
> stage if you keep on throwing away previous experience.

If we have a bicycle, do we say we will now build a new and super 'Car'
that will do all the things a bicycle does, and everything we now use
must be based around a car?

We certainly need to keep *experience* in order to reach the aircraft
stage, but we *should* be throwing away everything *else*.   Trying to
build a jet fighter with bicycle technology will (very probably...) fail.

On the other hand we need to make sure that if someone wants to go from
A to B, they can use both bicycles and/or jet fighters, depending on how
  fast they want to get there and what nasty people they think they
might meet on the way.  At some point we deprecate bicycles and
introduce warp drives.

I think I've done that analogue to death now :-)

I am happy to attempt to work with [Quantity], if only because so much
hard work (and good work) has gone into I doubt it will be possible to
let it go!  Which is the wrong reasons to use technologies to build
something, but doesn't mean it's impossible.

Cheers,

MC

--
Martin Hill