[QUANTITY] and [OBSERVATION] data models: mutability

Martin Hill mchill at dial.pipex.com
Wed May 5 04:44:41 PDT 2004

David Berry wrote:

> That's certainly a possibility. It would be particularly relevant I guess
> for multi-threaded access to the Quantity. But on the other side of the
> balance is the expense of object creation in most OO languages.

It applies not just to multi-threaded access, but any occasion where
more than one reference is held (I'm in a bit of a rush just now but can
do examples for next week if need be).  The object creation overhead is
a red herring at this stage!  It only really matters in tight, large
loops where Quantity is likely to be inappropriately heavyweight anyway.

Cheers,

Martin

--
Martin Hill