[Missing Practical Stuff]

Francois Bonnarel bonnarel at alinda.u-strasbg.fr
Wed Jun 2 08:05:09 PDT 2004

Hello Martin,
But I do not agree to the comment you gave here

<From owner-dm at eso.org  Wed Jun  2 14:48:32 2004
<Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:52:56 +0100
.....................;;
<>    Just to summarize what it is all about:
<>
<>     Brian's "private" proposal about External Resource, including
<>                 Format Mime/types of the Files
<>                 computer encoding ....
<>
<>     Transform encoding / compression
<>     File size
<>
<>     Pointers to real data and "Location" of relevant data in the dataset
<
<None of the above are to do with modelling data!  Nevertheless they are
<important, and I wonder if they would be better 'opened' in the interop group?
<Since they seem to be about locating & describing data instances in general?
<Some other groups have already considered some of these aspects - such as
<Registry and 'pointers'.
<

  Suppose you use any kind of serialization of Observation + Quantity DMs
(VOTable or "standard XML") in order  to describe your Observational data.
At some point you have to describe in this serialization where the data
really are, what kind of format, if they are compressed or not. Your software
will have to take appropriate decisions according to the actual values of
these attributes. So of course it has to be there in the data model for
description. This does not prevent us to take into account the work done by
the other groups.
   So we can go on about this off-line .

Cheers
François

Francois   Bonnarel               Observatoire Astronomique de Strasbourg
CDS (Centre de donnees          11, rue de l'Universite
astronomiques de Strasbourg)    F--67000 Strasbourg (France)

Tel: +33-(0)3 90 24 24 11       WWW: http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/people/fb.html
Fax: +33-(0)3 90 24 24 25       E-mail: bonnarel at astro.u-strasbg.fr