[Missing Practical Stuff]

Francois Bonnarel bonnarel at alinda.u-strasbg.fr
Wed Jun 2 05:34:17 PDT 2004

Dear all,
   As announced at the very end of the DM3 session in Boston last Friday
   a small group of DM people including Mireille Louys, Jonathan, Brian Thomas,
 Alberto Micol  and me will start a new task which is to describe in the
Observation/quantity field various aspects which seem to be missing in the
drafts at the moment (except a very premiminary "Packaging" section in the
last version of the Observation draft)

   Just to summarize what it is all about:

    Brian's "private" proposal about External Resource, including
                Format Mime/types of the Files
                computer encoding ....

    Transform encoding / compression
    File size

    Packaging of Science data with background, weight maps, sources

    Pointers to real data and "Location" of relevant data in the dataset

    Different views of the same observation (Full dataset, cutouts, previews,
    thubnails ....)

    Versioning ?

    Observations and "Related sub-observations" (eg HST associations, CCD mosaics, etc ...)

    We will try to produce something to be discussed before giving our thoughts
to the list in a chaotic way. So if you are interested please send a mail
to me or Jonathan, we will start as a sub-group.

Regards
François

Francois   Bonnarel               Observatoire Astronomique de Strasbourg
CDS (Centre de donnees          11, rue de l'Universite
astronomiques de Strasbourg)    F--67000 Strasbourg (France)

Tel: +33-(0)3 90 24 24 11       WWW: http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/people/fb.html
Fax: +33-(0)3 90 24 24 25       E-mail: bonnarel at astro.u-strasbg.fr