Representing data

martin hill mchill at dial.pipex.com
Tue Feb 3 03:55:57 PST 2004

Yes I'll probably get more interest here because no firm decisions have been
made here yet :-) but this is not the ideal place either really - I'm after a
way of representing data instances for transport rather than modelling it in the
general case.  As developers we can 'just get on with it' and the astronomers
will have to put up with whatever we make - but I'd rather get some input!

As you say amongst all your sensible stuff below, the case of the large dataset
*has* to be dealt with by making use of some binary format, not just for the
storage space and network bandwidth, but also because of the tremendous amount
of processing power required to convert to and from ASCII.    Given the current
binary formats available, a table-based structure is probably the most suitable
- but let's not assume that is always the case.  The fixed sizes make editing
tables easier & faster, but if we are just going to be reading the data then it
makes little difference whether the data has fixed-record size or not as long as
there are suitable indexes.

I realise that changing a way of thinking from years of tradition can be
difficult, and so it may be hard to think of catalogue data in forms other than
tables.  We also don't want to lose existing skills, techniques and data by
getting carried away with new shiny technology.  But at the same time we don't
want to handicap our new shiny VO because we couldn't think outside these
traditions *as well*.

So during the meanwhilst - can anyone suggest an email list for discussing 'data
representations'?  This should include my favourite bee-in-the-bonnet topic,
inter-service message formats.  Should we start a new one, or perhaps use
interop at ivoa.net?

Cheers,

Martin

--