ISO 8601 and STC

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Wed Dec 1 03:12:58 PST 2004

Greetings,

On 2004 Nov 30 , at 19.13, Norman Gray wrote:

> So the fact you can't specify a timescale, and it can't (depending on
> how fussy you're being) specify leap seconds, make it not ideal for
> astronomical use.

...and I meant to mention that it's also formally undefined for dates
prior to the definition of UTC.

This means that 8601 could be almost completely adequate for astronomy,
if it were slightly augmented by formally permitting the seconds
counter to run to 60, and specifying a timescale for dates before 1986
(GMT?).

Norman