[COVERAGE] was: Re: [QUANTITY] Plea for pragmatism

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Fri Oct 31 12:40:17 PST 2003

Coverage, or "bounds" as we call it in CVO, is a 1st order summary of the
full blown description. However, the model here doesn't make sense to me
because it does treat things uniformly when they are uniform and treat
them differently when they are different.

The WCS is typically ~2d, so the spatial coverage/bounds has to be a 2d
construct. CVO uses polygons, but other  shapes would be fine depending on how
exact one wants to be... the idea is that you want to tell the difference
between "in" and "out" and whether two things overlap/intersect.

Spectral and temporal axes are 1d, and a 1-d bound is an interval (loValue and
hiValue below). They are not error values on the refValue. What is "time of
observation"? The  observation starts at loValue and ends at hiValue, no??

In the CVO model, each axis (spatial, spectral, temporal) has a  "bounds"
object and a "sampling" object. The bounds are polygon or interval
(currently). The sampling object has several parts: number of bins, bin size,
resolution, and fill factor. One can compute the Nyquist ratio from bin size
and resolution, which is what Alberto was referring to about data being
undersampled). So, all axes have the same sampling description and the bounds
description dpeends on the dimensionality. If you split up the two spatial
axes in an attempt to have 4 x 1d axes, you could use intervals for bounds
everywhere, but then you are essentially putting an axis-aligned bounding box
around the polygon, which is a worse characterisation of the WCS, for no good
reason.

My thoughts, based on our experience actually trying to model this in general,
put it all into a database, actually describe different types of data this
way (WFPC2 images, 2QZ spectra, ROSAT fields, CFHT 12K images, etc)
and then query it in a uniform and general fashion.  Yeah, there are things
I'd do differently, but not much differently :-)

--
Patrick Dowler
Tel/Tél: (250) 363-6914                  | fax/télécopieur: (250) 363-0045