[QUANTITY] Suggested method of work to maintain progress.

Jonathan McDowell jcm at head-cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Oct 31 07:01:55 PST 2003

Brian,
 Since I have now filled an entire 3-ring binder with [QUANTITY]
email issued after the end of ADASS, I think it may
indeed be time for a new approach, so I encourage some work
on the use cases for a bit.
 I do think we can start work on a real document later in November;
my sense of the sociopolitics is that this document should
define a QUANTITY (or MEASUREMENT) toward the upper end of
complexity in our discussion, and ALSO explicitly define a
SIMPLE-QUANTITY subclass toward the lower end of complexity.
 Since a SIMPLE-QUANTITY "is a" QUANTITY, but with restrictions,
it lets us complexity-lovers write general code, while allowing
simpliciphiles to write simple code for the easy cases.
I think both should be discussed in a single document.
(I don't think we need a separate [MEASUREMENT] thread at this
point, for instance, as I see popping up on my inbox as I type
this.)

 I'll try and put some thoughts up on [OBSERVATION] next week.

  - Jonathan