[QUANTITY] Plea for pragmatism

Francois Bonnarel bonnarel at alinda.u-strasbg.fr
Thu Oct 30 02:56:11 PST 2003

Hi Pierre
<From owner-dm at eso.org  Thu Oct 30 11:22:13 2003
<Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 11:00:00 +0100 (MET)
<From: DIDELON Pierre <dide at discovery.saclay.cea.fr>
<To: dtody at nrao.edu
<Subject: Re: [QUANTITY] Plea for pragmatism
<Cc: dm at ivoa.net
<
<> From owner-dm at eso.org Wed Oct 29 20:13:36 2003
<> Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 12:07:06 -0700 (MST)
<> From: Doug Tody <dtody at nrao.edu>
<> To: dm at ivoa.net
<>
<[snip]
<>
<> A global, all encompassing data model for something like an imaging
<> observation could be very complex.  A better approach might be to simply
<> provide a mechanism to aggregate and associate the component data models
<> to model actual instances of complex datasets.
<
<I totally agree.
<
<>
<> The hierarchy needed is something along these lines:
<>
<>     Container
<...
<>     Component data model
<...
<>     Quantity
<...
<>
<> Our most urgent need is for the component data models,
<
<Could we try to make a list of components, from the common concepts listed in Strasbourg
<(http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/InterOpOct2003DataModel)
<and perhaps some items of interest evocated in Cambridge,
<and then give them priorities.
<
<I think that at the same time we could try to define the global area of DM,
<even in a fuzzy manner, by defining "package" or "domains".
<IMO trying to see the relations between components and domains
<will perhaps help us establishing the "landscape" and the domain borders.
<
<> 	and simple models
<> for things like image and spectrum/SED.  We also need to define ways to
<> represent such data models in formats such as XML/VOTable.
<>
<Francois Bonnarel (CDS) already made this exercice within VOTable.
<Can he post something concerning that?
I have planned to do that, as I told you and Doug in Strasbourg, but you know
I am a slow guy for writing notes !!!!

Regards to all
François
<
<Pierre
<

Francois   Bonnarel               Observatoire Astronomique de Strasbourg
CDS (Centre de donnees          11, rue de l'Universite
astronomiques de Strasbourg)    F--67000 Strasbourg (France)

Tel: +33-(0)3 90 24 24 11       WWW: http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/people/fb.html
Fax: +33-(0)3 90 24 24 25       E-mail: bonnarel at astro.u-strasbg.fr