[QUANTITY] Plea for pragmatism

Ed Shaya Edward.J.Shaya.1 at gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Oct 29 09:53:04 PST 2003

Well it is with great fear of causing an even bigger explosion of
e-mails, but I hear a call for
use cases and if use cases are really welcome then I want to be sure
that use cases from
the point of view of a high level query language are represented.  In
what follows I use measurement,
quantity, data, metadata, item interchangeably so that I am not
introducing definitional
examples of these terms.  Rather, I am simply introducing use cases, to
be used for
requirements development of a data model, and after that we can again try to
cut up the model into working domains.  I do think that some overall DM
has to be
agreed upon before groups can split off and work on specific domains.
Perhaps this
is happening for a second time?  If so I apologize.
I do reserve the right to add more use cases as we go along, since I may
have, with 10 examples,
left huge gaps.

I. Extracting simple measurements with errors.  Ensure they have
errors and are associated to objects that may be associated with
higher level objects, clusters.

    #Obtain Iron abundances [Fe/H] for stars in M92.

II. Extracting object holders of properties.  Here we ensure
bi-directionality of above associations.  And introduce a comparison
quantity. And we need to hold intermediate arrays and
the averages of these arrays.  The output is an array of objects,
(GCs).

#Find globular clusters whose stars have average iron abundance < 0.25.

III. Include conditional items in search.

    #Same as above but only use cases where more than 2 Iron
    lines were included in the analsys.

IV. Extracting meta-data quantity.

    #Obtain the assumed Iron transition probabilities assumed in
    previous example.

V. Extracting line identifications, confidence level etc
    #Obtain which lines have been identified in far UV in the

VI. Extracting 2-d data.  One expects either single aperture or CCD
data, and everything should carry along errors and quality
assesments.  Of course the aperture location and pixel sizes must be
carried as well.

    #Obtain 350 micron emission data of Sgr B2 (galactic center object)
    that have resolution < 20".

VII. Extracting 3-d data.
    #Obtain, for region XXX, microwave background data from WMAP
    in all spectral channels in regions excluding known
    galaxies (using the V=25th mag/sq" surface brightness
    contour).

VIII. Extracting vectors.
    #Obtain from N-body simulation XXX, using mass points in
    halos at the present time, the center of mass motion of each
    galaxy+recent infall components at z=5.

IX. Extracting tensors.
    #Assuming all clusters in the Abell Catalog have mass of
    1E14 solar masses, calculate how the acceleration vector
    increases with distance from the Milky Way in each of the
    3 cartesian coordinates.

X. Instrument as Objects.
    #Find a spectragraph at a major observatory dispersion <100A/px and
throughput
    better than 20% over the region 3500-4000A.  Display the throughput
curve for
    each of these.