UCDS vs DM - Peacekeeping

Tom McGlynn Thomas.A.McGlynn at nasa.gov
Mon Oct 20 07:07:01 PDT 2003

Martin,

So far I've been a non-combatant in this war, but as you may know I had some
reservations about the UCD2 framework presented at the interoperability
meeting.  Over the
past two days I have been writing a revised proposal.  This proposal
includes a whole
new discussion of the interaction between UCDs and table grouping
constructs that I feel may play a
major role in mediating among UCDs, data models and the DAL.  I'll be
publishing this within a day
or two, but one key concept is the UCDTree which shows the UCDs of a
table in a structured way.  It is
my hope that methods of abstract data models can be translated into
actions on data by straightforward
analysis of UCDTree.   I expect to be send out the proposal today or
tomorrow after I have a chance to check
that what I've written during the flight back makes sense when I read it
in a non-sleep-deprived state.

    Regards,
    Tom