[QUANTIT] Use-cases, role in larger scheme (Was: Re: [QUANTITY] Quantity "arguments")

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Fri Nov 14 14:16:05 PST 2003

Brian -

Indeed top level applications like this are where we should start with
VO use-case analysis.  A first iteration on this has already been done:
case 1 below is one of the NVO use cases which led to the cone search and
SIA services (to get catalog and image data) and to what is now called
the 'DIS' (data inventory) service from HEASARC.  The GRB use case is
not really a use case for quantity, but if we descend far enough into
the VO we will eventually get to concepts like UCD and quantity which
should provide a means to define the fundamental physical attributes of
the data we are dealing with.

Much of the top level use-case analysis has already been done and we are to
the point now where we have a service architecture and are looking at the
details of data queries, data modeling, data representation and mediation
to external data.  What is needed is to work out and document the data
model-based data access architecture at this level, showing how we model
actual datasets down to the level of abstract component data models and
representations in XML or other formats.  This is hard and will take time,
so we have been working at it both top down (by refining our distributed
VO application prototypes and demos) and bottom up (by trying to define
component data models and data representation technology like VOTable).

Probably it will be difficult to make any real progress on 'quantity'
until the architecture it fits into has been clarified so that we know
how it will be used.  To continue with this now the best strategy might
be a simple prototype of some sort that is usable as a component (i.e.,
the bottom-up approach).

	- Doug