[Data Characterisation]: Spatial domain models comparison

Andreas Wicenec awicenec at eso.org
Thu Nov 6 03:04:56 PST 2003

Dear all,

I have a couple of immediate comments:

0.) The suggested column does not always give enough detail on how it would be
done, e.g. Pat's way, Doug's way or yet another one?

1.) How will the astrometric accuracy of the spatial coverage be represented
in a single floating point value? A real WCS contains many different
parameters which all have their own error associated and they can be quite
different. Moreover the parameters for the spatial coverage have different
units (fill_factor and shape are dimensionless, fov is probably in degrees.

2.) What is a spatial sensitivity?? In my view the only way to represent
something like this is a sensitivity map as Alberto mentioned. The parameters
given in the table are certainly not representing anything like spatial
sensitivity, but global flux sensitivities deducted (how?) from the overall
FOV. The *how* is actually important here because if this is done differently
the values are not comparable. Note that I'm not against these parameters in
general I'm just saying that the name 'spatial sensitivity' should be
changed.

3.) The concept name 'Photometric Accuracy' (first column) should also be
changed to flux uncertainity to be more consistent with the other concept
names in the same table.

Cheers,
Andreas