[INTERFEROMETRY] Getting started

Peter Lamb Peter.Lamb at csiro.au
Thu Jun 5 20:35:20 PDT 2003

Largely as a result of my being noisy and enthusiastic at the Cambridge Interoperability meeting, I was nominated  http://www.ivoa.net/forum/dm/0060.htm to lead an IVOA work package on data modelling for Interferometry.

As a first step in the process, I'd like to start an exchange of information in the IVOA Data Modelling group about data models for existing archives of interferometry raw, calibrated or uncalibrated, data. For radio interferometry, I expect this to be visibility data, but is there interest from VLBI folk for modelling data holdings at an earlier stage in the processing chain?

I'm not sure about the etiquette for adding things to the documents table in the Data Model Twiki. Is that the most appropriate place to put documents at this stage? That may clutter the DM Twiki a bit. Or should I make a separate page to allow us to exchange early documents?

Anita Richards (MERLIN/Jodrell Bank) is preparing a questionnaire that she intends to send round to the IVOA DM group and other contacts she has in radio interferometry to try to get an insight into what sort of data holdings people have, and how they could be made more useful.

If you want to have off-line discussions about Interferometry with me, please feel free.

By way of introduction: I'm not an astronomer, I'm a computing person. Please be forgiving of my ignorance of matters astronomical.

I'm working in a collaborative project with the Australia Telescope National Facility (ATNF,  http://www.atnf.csiro.au) to make the data holdings of the ATNF Compact Array at Narrabri (http://www.narrabri.atnf.csiro.au) available as part of the Australian Virtual Observatory (Aus-VO, http://www.aus-vo.org).

I'm not with the ANU (Australian National University) as it says in Jonathan's minutes. I'm with CSIRO (Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, http://www.csiro.au). The lab I work in is in fact on ANU campus, but they don't pay me. The ATNF (as its URL suggests) is also part of CSIRO.

Peter Lamb

peter.lamb at csiro.au

Group Leader, Grid Computing
CSIRO Mathematical and Information Sciences
PO Box 664                                      Tel: +61 2 6216 7047
Canberra ACT 2601, Australia            Fax: +61 2 6216 7111