Observing the Synthetic Universe - 28-29 January 2003 (fwd)

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Sun Jan 5 03:13:07 PST 2003

Hi Vincent,

For an AstroGrid view of the question 'What is a VO', have a look at the
following documents.

http://wiki.astrogrid.org/bin/view/Astrogrid/FocusVOUsage20021121
  This documents two days of discussions last November on how the UK-VO
being built by AstroGrid should look and operate.

The key philosophy is that the VO is not a single organisation nor a
single piece of software. It 'emerges' from having data accessible to
software which implements certain interoperability standards, much in
the way the web emerged from the http and html type of standards -
though the VO is being thought out and planned to a greater degree than
the web ever was. Presumably the IVOA will evolve into something
equivalent to the W3C.

http://wiki.astrogrid.org/bin/view/Astrogrid/RbArchitectureOverview
  This is one chapter of the AstroGrid Phase A Report which looks
forward to the component-based structure of the AstroGrid software.
There are a few anomalies there at the moment - some of the components
will be dropped as our funding is a little less than we'd hoped - but
the changes are on the margins. The component diagram:

http://wiki.astrogrid.org/pub/Astrogrid/RbArchitectureOverview/Component
s.gif
is of the final structure but the text has not been updated yet.

I hope these help you - feel free to browse the rest of the AstroGrid
wiki (http://wiki.astrogrid.org/bin/view/Astrogrid/WebHome is the home
page and http://wiki.astrogrid.org/bin/view/Astrogrid/DocStore is the
top page for most documents) for more on the project, or contact me if
there's anything specific you want.

Cheers,
Tony.