Data ownership?

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Thu Feb 19 22:06:39 PST 2009

The last thread on the Data Curation and Preservation IG was at the
beginning of December.  I posted a message asserting:  "Something like
copyright is necessary as the fundamental basis for protecting
proprietary data rights for our users."

What I didn't indicate was that this thread had jumped over from a non-
astronomy blog:

	http://thunk.org/tytso/blog/2008/11/29/an-ethical-question-involving-ebooks

The discussion there was a bit more - rambunctious - extending to 357
messages.  Richard Stallman showed up at #229 and yours truly at
#232.  The original topic was some hypothetical situation about e-
books, but I brought up astronomical data at message #346.

Stallman's take on astronomical data is basically that nobody owns it:

	"Copyright law in the US does not apply to a collection of facts.
Copyright only applies to the details of expression of a work, details
that [the] author chose. So I would expect that copyright does not
apply to astronomical photographs."

The bulk of the discussion was whether "Intellectual Property" means
anything at all.

I can't say I disagree with Stallman's free software philosophy
(whatever you do, don't call it "open source"), but I don't know
whether it extends to astronomical data products.  The guy is
relentless on staying on message.  I did my best to expand the
boundaries of the discussion, but he kept pulling it back to the same
talking points he would use testifying before a Congressional
subcommittee.

My fundamental question about the Curation and Preservation of
astronomical data is what exactly are we preserving and curating if
nobody owns the data?  A curator is responsible for the holdings of a
museum - certainly the museum claims ownership of those objects (or
acts as a proxy for other owners).

Preserve has meanings like:
	1) to keep alive or in existence; make lasting
	2) to keep safe from harm or injury; protect or spare
	3) to keep up; maintain
	4) to keep possession of; retain

It is certainly possible to (temporarily) preserve something whose
ownership is subject to debate.  One could even argue that in a world
devoid of intellectual property rights that multiple protectors could
step forward.  Google or Yahoo might decide to simply slurp up the
entire VO.  But with ownership comes responsibility.  Without
responsibility, permanence is called into question.  What Google (or
any third party) protects today, they may as easily abandon tomorrow.

Similarly, if no single authority "owns" (whatever that means) a data
set, then several entities might concurrently claim to be curating the
data, including making conflicting assertions regarding provenance or
calibration, or modifying the data to match some private agenda.
Rather than an archive, this situation would resemble the anarchy of
slashdot or a blog.

The question isn't whether astronomy is likely to devolve into anarchy
- one might even welcome such entertainment :-)  The question is what
model of data custody or guardianship applies - or perhaps of First
Amendment data rights (though Richard Stallman might even balk at this
formulation).

Or even of more obscure archetypes such as prosopopoeia
("personification, as of inanimate things") - if it ain't property,
perhaps data is to be viewed as a legal personage?  Perhaps "data
rights" are exactly analogous to "human rights".  I suspect this is
not far from how many scientists view the inalienable integrity of
"their" data.

Rob