Intellectual property rights?

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Sun Nov 30 20:50:32 PST 2008

Hola,

A new topic.  Curation and preservation of data are dependent on a
more fundamental issue - ownership.  This IG seems the likeliest place
within the IVOA to discuss issues of astronomical IP rights.  For
instance, various discussions in the astronomical software community
over the years have suggested that copyright is the appropriate legal
theory to apply to "ownership" of astronomical data.  Is this actually
true?

Something like copyright is necessary as the fundamental basis for
protecting proprietary data rights for our users.  (Otherwise, what is
being safeguarded by our archives' access restrictions?)  Copyright
(or other IP model) is also desirable for various reasons to protect
post-proprietary archive holdings.

In any event, the expiration of the proprietary period for the
original investigator is an issue distinct from the IP rights of the
observatory.  Rarely is copyright asserted by observers, but rather by
observatories.

One aspect of copyright is that it is designed to expire, ultimately
leaving the content (data) in the public domain.  What will the
implications then be for continued curation of such data?

Another issue is that copyright can be thrown into limbo with the
conclusion of a project, closure of an organization, or death of a
P.I.  As an analogy, books often go out of print.  Even if such data
remain accessible within an archive, and federated by the VO (or
Grid), IP considerations may make distribution of pertaining datasets
legally ambiguous.

Comments?

Rob Seaman
NOAO