Text error messages
Markus Demleitner
msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Sep 30 14:37:21 CEST 2026
Dear DAL,
For the benefit of those that follow mail threads, here's a late
reply to:
On Thu, Jul 09, 2026 at 01:12:59PM +0100, Mark Taylor via dal wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jun 2026, Patrick Dowler via dal wrote:
>
> > In my opinion, the "errors in VOTable" were a simple but bad idea and
> > we should figure out how to stop requiring it.
>
> I agree with this; requiring services to format errors as VOTables
> is unneccessarily burdensome and a bit pointless too, since
> clients are going to have to make sense of error messages that
> get generated by non-VO-aware communication layers as well as
> whatever VO standards dictate. So I would support moving away
> from requiring VOTable formatting in error messages.
So, I've made a draft of this in commit 8e366ae, which is part of
PR#11 <https://github.com/ivoa-std/SCS2/pull/11/commits>. I'm sorry
that the PR has these two extra commits; I can't seem to find out how
to change the base branch for a pull request once it's open, and I
can't be bothered to close and make a new one.
So, perhaps more directly: Does someone have comments on
<https://github.com/ivoa-std/SCS2/pull/11/changes/8e366aef59bc078f30e78085af4463dd72979d64>?
PR reviews (all of https://github.com/ivoa-std/SCS2/pulls, where the
commits from #9 and #10 are actually in #11 right now) would be
*hightly* appreciated.
More information about the dal
mailing list