SCS2: CIRCLE minus RA/DEC/SR
Markus Demleitner
msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Sep 30 10:28:25 CEST 2026
Soooo, again replying to myself,
On Tue, Sep 22, 2026 at 10:48:48AM +0200, Markus Demleitner wrote:
> Which of course is true. Without any historical baggage I'm sure
> we'd just have CIRCLE and no RA, DEC, and SR.
>
> For now, it (the baggage and the paramater set) is there. If nobody
> jumps in to its rescue, however, I feel an increasing urge to drop
> the split position specification for simplicity.
>
> How chagrined would by be by the demise of RA, DEC, and SR? [s/by/you/]
Since nobody replied, I went ahead and wrote PR #10,
<https://github.com/ivoa-std/SCS2/pull/10>, which drops the classic
three parameters.
I'll happily give you that it's harder now to directly drive SCS2
services from web forms, but that's probably a remote use case
anyway. If you have an javascript layer, that'd be easy to
circumvent (which is an odd argument to hear myself bring forward,
but there you go).
Other than that and nostalgia, I don't see a downside to dropping
split-position parameters.
So... reviews solicited!
Thanks,
Markus
More information about the dal
mailing list