VEP-014: product-type#spatial-profile

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Mar 5 09:31:05 CET 2024

Dear WGs concerned,

We have a new VEP of the product-type vocabulary, coming out of the
work on bringing more radio data into the VO, VEP-014 at
https://github.com/ivoa-std/VEPs/blob/main/VEP-014.txt

Here is the current text:

  Vocabulary: http://www.ivoa.net/rdf/product-type
  Author: Vincenzo Galluzzi <vincenzo.galluzzi at inaf.it>
  Date: 2023-11-13

  New Term: spatial-profile
  Action: Addition
  Label: Spatial Profile
  Relationships: narrower than #spatially-resolved-dataset
  Used-in: TBD

  Rationale:
  Spatial profiles are commonly used in single-dish radio observations,
  where a cross of about five beams centered on the target object is
  scanned for computing flux backgrounds or pointing
  corrections.  Other profiles used in radio astronomy scan over elevation
  to create opacity corrections.

  Another case for spatial-profile would be when a planetary probe takes
  measurements along its flight path.  Both sorts of data products clearly
  need discovery modes of their own because they have analysis modes
  rather distinct from other data product types.  Whether the different
  sorts of profiles need further separation remains to be seen in usage.

I would suggest that discussions on the concept itself should happen
on the Radio IG's mailing list.  Any feedback is most welcome.

Thanks,

         Markus