STC-S to S-MOC implementation

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Dec 14 19:10:04 CET 2023

This discussion sent me down a rabbit hole. So, here is some historical
context.
I developed STC-S at the request of Jim Gray who was interested  in using
it for his indexing scheme in MS SQLServer.
Indexing spherical coordinates in SQL.
See: https://arxiv.org/abs/cs/0701171 and references therein.

Tamas Budavari had a parser for SkyQuery that converted STC-S to a series
of half-spaces to describe regions.
But that, of course, worked with HTM, not HealPix.
However, the half-spaces scheme was very clever, since it allowed
describing polynomials not only using great circles, but also parallels,
using the sides, rather than the vertices; and it discriminated in a
natural way between inside and outside.
It's described in an ADASS 2006 talk, attached.

Cheers,

  - Arnold

Arnold H Rots

Research Associate

SAO/HEAD

Center for Astrophysics | Harvard & Smithsonian

Email: arots at cfa.harvard.edu

Office: +1 617 496 7701 | Cell: +1 617 721 6756

60 Garden Street | MS 69 | Cambridge, MA 02138 | USA

cfa.harvard.edu | Facebook <http://cfa.harvard.edu/facebook> | Twitter
<http://cfa.harvard.edu/twitter> | YouTube <http://cfa.harvard.edu/youtube>
| Newsletter <http://cfa.harvard.edu/newsletter>