Error in the WD-STC-S-1.0-20130918 document?

Gregory MANTELET gregory.mantelet at astro.unistra.fr
Tue Dec 12 10:28:16 CET 2023

Hi all,

> ADQL-2.0 references the STC-S WD because it predates TAP-1.0.... I
> think since ADQL-2.1 comes after TAP-1.1 (STC-S gone) it should have
> referenced TAP-1.0 to address backwards compatibility concerns, but
> with a heavy preference for DALI instead. There's no recommended use
> of the actual STC-S WD syntax that I'm aware of. We could at least
> issue an errata for ADQL-2.1 to change the STC-S reference to TAP-1.0
> (section 6?) -- at least I think that's what we should have done +/-
> intended by the backward compat statement.

On this point, I am quite divided. I am not sure it worth publishing an
erratum toward a non-normative appendix of an old version of a standard
(TAP-1.0) instead of a working draft released for a long time. I don't
see what we are really going to gain here.

On one hand, as stated in this thread, ADQL-2.1 now recommends to use
the DALI expressions instead of STC-S. But since DALI does not cover yet
everything STC-S is able to offer, it is still possible to provide
STC-S. Hence this reference (note that if it becomes an IVOA Note as
suggested by Mark, I will certainly be in favor of an Erratum in
ADQL-2.1 in order to refer to this instead). So, when DALI is complete,
as valid STC-S replacement, ADQL will immediately strongly recommend
DALI expressions and will deprecate STC-S expressions (in order to
ensure backward compatibility).

On the other hand, considering the strong relation between ADQL and TAP,
it would make sense to use the same reference to STC-S. But then,
TAP-1.1 completely removed any reference to a document describing STC-S.
Since ADQL-2.1 comes after TAP-1.1, it makes also sense to make the same
recommendations than in TAP-1.1...which is done by recommending to use
DALI expressions instead of STC-S when possible. So, should ADQL-2.1
remove all reference to STC-S as TAP-1.1 did? But then, it would be more
confusing for anyone reading the term STC-S in the ADQL-2.1 document.

Cheers,
Grégory M.