DALI v1.2: shape vs ESO and ALMA

Patrick Dowler pdowler.cadc at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 19:00:27 CET 2023

The "definition" of polygon in DALI does refer to STC-1.33 for the complete
specification/details, so maybe by stating "counter-clockwise" to answer
the most superficial question locally (in the way that many people
understand it) it is implying that this is the whole definition? The intent
is for the complete spec in STC-1.33 to be normative.

You see, when we make a really opaque reference to another standard and say
nothing at all, readers *must* go read that other standard just to have an
idea what we are talking about. We get many complaints that doing this
makes our standards too opaque and too much work to understand. The other
extreme is that we lift the whole definition from STC-S and put it into
DALI and stop referencing STC entirely. What we did is in the middle... so
no one is happy? Can you suggest a way to clarify?

If you look back at all the notes in DALI_next, I think you will see that
we did consider holes and multipolygon does support holes as CW polygon
components, but we may have to write some more text and examples to
illustrate that clearly. Also, in DALI_next, we did not consider any use
cases involving multiple circles or multiple shapes. At some point, the
answer there is probably going to be MOC. Yes, CAG does have concepts that
nominally map to specifying such things with different types of paths, but
I gave up on that direction years ago.

"multicircle" would be simple and easy enough... in fact, you can do it now
with datatype="double" arraysize=3x*" xtype="circle". That's why there is
no "multi-internal" either (because you can already deliver those).

--
On what is included in shape, the current amount of polymorphism is limited
to known implementations. We did include multipolygon up to the Bologna

I have some ideas on how I could make that work in our postgresql+pgsphere
server, but it's "complicated". I would not want to make that part of the
spec

Finally, as far as I am aware, the conventional wisdom is that a point is
not a shape and everyone who designs a geometry system that supports that
regrets it. Do you have a use case for including point in the list of
shapes?
Victoria, BC, Canada