thoughts on TAP-1.2

Dave Morris dave.morris at metagrid.co.uk
Mon Mar 21 17:41:51 CET 2022

This is indeed one of the use cases that we had in mind for VOSpace.

A section of space in a VOSpace service where the directory structure
maps to the catalog/schema/table hierarchy of a writable database.

Creating a 'file' called 'mytable' in 'mycatalog/myschema' would create
a new table.

All of the object construction and access control rules map fairly well
onto a virtual directory structure and from a user's perspective it can
be made really simple.

To create a new database table, just drag a VOTable file from my desktop
into 'mycatalog/myschema', and the service takes care of the rest.

As a side effect, you get all of the 3rd party asynchronous transfer
capabilities needed to transfer a multi-Tbyte result set from one
service to another.

Cheers,
-- Dave

--------