thoughts on TAP-1.2

Patrick Dowler pdowler.cadc at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 19:11:33 CET 2022

Hi all,

I wanted to remind people of some work we did at CADC/CANFAR to enable
users to manage tables in a TAP service. The short version of this is that
it supports create table, create index, drop table, setting permissions
(private, groups via GMS, or public), and loading data (only adding rows).
Our goal was to support projects that were creating astronomical catalogues
so mostly bulk loading of content  and that's what the CANFAR youcat
service does now. The features could also support users managing their own
tables in a more persistent fashion than we have with TAP upload: create a
server-side table once, do various queries/joins with other tables over a
period of time, and maybe drop it later. I'm sure there are other useful
things one could do.

I gave a presentation in College Park (
https://wiki.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/InterOpNov2018DAL/tap-youcat.pdf)

The REST API docs for our youcat service are here:
https://ws-cadc.canfar.net/youcat/

I would like to discuss this further and figure out if this is something we
can standardise in TAP-1.2 (as an optional set of features implementers can
add). I know Adrian already has python tap client support for these
features somewhere (maybe in cadctap) and they could be moved up to the
pyvo TAP client pretty easily if that happens.

So, if you are interested check out the above links and let's figure out
how/when to discuss.

Victoria, BC, Canada