Sexagesimal metadata

Patrick Dowler pdowler.cadc at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 20:45:47 CET 2022

Sexagesimal values are strings that can be further parsed/interpreted so
that falls right into what xtype is for. It would be two closely related
xtype values.
I say "strings" because of the colons in the serialization... they could in
principle be {double,3,ra} and {double,3,dec} (eg) if that serialization
was potentially useful/acceptable. #scope-creep

The other alternative, which is always a possibility when thinking about
xtypes, is to introduce two new datatype(s) in VOTable, but in the past
there was reluctance to introduce non-primitive types there. Certainly
adding xtypes is more backwards-compat friendly than new datatypes.

Victoria, BC, Canada