The product-type vocabulary

BONNAREL FRANCOIS francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Wed Jan 5 17:13:49 CET 2022

Dear all,
Le 15/12/2021 à 09:03, Markus Demleitner a écrit :
> Dear Semantics, Dear DAL,
>
> The current Datalink WD
> (http://ivoa.net/documents/DataLink/20211115/index.html) needs a
> vocabulary of product types (images, spectra,...), mainly to satisfy
> the "figure out a client suitable as a SAMP target" use case.
>
> While there are other use cases (of course, dataproduct_type in
> obscore, but perspectively also searching by the sort of data
> products coming out of a service in the Registry), because of the
> Datalink WD review I'd say it's up to DAL to bring this vocabulary
> into shape.

There are two good reasons to go in this direction at least. We have
obviously new use cases where we may need more accurate (narrower) terms.

- In the context of ObsCore we could always manage that with
dataproduct_subtype (with the interoperability drawback that it is not
supposed to contain standard terms in general) but in the context of the
DataLink "content_qualifier" field (see DataLink 1.1 WD) we would not
have this possibility. SO we have to extend the list of terms beyond the
current ObsCore list.

- Many of the new terms may show relationships with other terms which
are not simply hierarchical. A good example is the new "dynamic
spectrum" term which is a TimeSeries and also a spectrum. Apparently
SKOS allows to manage such relationships.

I have written a long email to propose a way to extend this SKOS
vocabulary in a consistent way in the future on the semantics list a
couple of minutes ago.
(http://mail.ivoa.net/pipermail/semantics/2022-January/002948.html)

As a first step I support Markus' proposal.

Cheers

François