Facility and instrument terms in the different protocols

Harrison Paul harripa at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 13:04:43 CEST 2022

Hi,

In ProposalDM, I have been trialing the idea of a 4th layer which I have named “backend" for now - which is roughly how the detected data are combined to produce a data product - So in radio astronomy in particular the “instrument/detector” might be thought of as receiver/digitiser that is used for a particular frequency band, but then in interferometers in particular there might be several ways that same data streams from each telescope are combined - they could be cross-correlated, beam formed, or even just treated as independent, so there could be several simultaneous data products. It might be that this is not really a useful distinction and it is possible to have multiple “instruments” that are the possible combinations of the detector/backends.

Paul Harrison